Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Angeles

Angeles is cleaning our casa Serenita every day, except on Sundays. She is 28 years old and a master of cleaning as well as communication. Even though my Spanish is quite rudimentary we manage to talk about many subjects, including how to work the very complicated coffee machine of the house that I need to make my cafe latte every morning. When I show her some of the photos Ross has taken, she looks like a piece of magic is happening right before her eyes. She says the names of everything in the picture out loud and thus my Spanish vocabulary is growing little by little.
Yesterday on our way down to town we said hello to a Mexican girl, maybe 10 years old. Her name was Johanna she said, and we laughed because it is almost the same as my name Hanne. And actually I got my name from my grandmother Johanne who was also my godmother. So suddenly I envisioned my beloved grandmother, the Danish farming woman, reincarnated in a girl with dark skin, brown eyes and a little white skirt on the road to Sayulita. Then Johanna started talking to us real fast in Spanish. She asked us if she could clean our casita, we gradually understood. We had to say thank you, but no, it is Angeles who has the job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86295371@N00